Whether it’s a run, gym session or playing sport with your local team, if you’re heading out for a workout, it’s likely you’re going to get sweaty. Whilst we often think about the negatives of sweat, it is essential to our wellbeing.
The health benefits of sweat include helping to cool your body down and prevent it from overheating. It can also help with the elimination of certain chemicals & bacteria.
There are two types of glands that produce sweat:
- Apocrine sweat glands open into hair follicles that lead to the surface of your skin. They are found in areas that have a lot of hair follicles, such as your scalp & armpits. These sweat glands produce highly concentrated secretions of sweat.
- Eccrine sweat glands are located all over your body, mainly on the palms of your hands, the soles of your feet, and your forehead. Their primary function is to regulate your body temperature. These glands, which open directly onto the surface of your skin, produce a lightweight, odorless sweat.
Sweating During Exercise
When we exercise, we get hot and sweating helps to regulate our body temperature. The downside of sweating is that many people find it contributes to skin irritation, acne breakouts and exacerbates existing skin conditions. This is because sweating can lead to a build up of oil, dirt and bacteria on your skin – the perfect environment for breakouts.
Have you ever wondered why some people sweat more than others whilst exercising? The amount of sweat you produce depends on a number of factors, such as:
- your fitness level
- health conditions
- how tough you work out
- weather conditions
- your genetics
- The location of your exercise and humidity levels
- your gender (men tend to sweat more than women)
- your age (younger people tend to sweat more than older adults)
No matter if you sweat a lot or a little, it is best to take hygiene steps pre, during and post your workout to help maintain good skin health, especially for people with sensitive skin.
Tips for Looking After Your Skin Pre and During Exercise
- Remove your make up prior to exercising. When you exercise your pores open making it easy for make-up and grime to get clogged in them.
- Before exercising outdoors, apply a sunscreen. AMPERNA® Pro+ Bio Soothing Day Mineral CC SPF15 [HYDRAPROTECT] is a lightweight, non-greasy physical SPF moisturising lotion that has an adaptive formula and is suitable for all skin tones. It is not a tinted formulation, rather the slight tinted appearance of the formula is a result of the zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and mineral ingredients. HYDRAPROTECT contains zinc oxide making it a physical SPF. Physical SPFs are better suited than chemical SPFs for sensitive skin and conditions such as acne and perioral dermatitis.
- Replenish the fluids lost through sweat by drinking plenty of water pre and during exercise.
- Wear breathable fabrics such as cotton and light weight materials
- Avoid exercising in excessive heat. Try to work out in the morning or evening instead.
- If your work-out is out indoors, try your best to control the room temperature and humidity
- Use an absorbent towel to wipe away sweat while you’re exercising.
Tips for Your Post-sweat Skin-care Routine
- As soon as you finish your sweaty work-out, it is time to cleanse your face. When cleansing, use cool water. This can help to close your pores. Use a gentle cleanser such as AMPERNA® Ultra Gentle Soothing Cleanser, a light gel cleanser that helps remove makeup while balancing the skin. It contains an infusion of sage and cucumber extracts to help cool, soothe and nourish skin. If you don’t have access to a sink, pack some face wipes.
- Use a clean towel to pat your skin dry. Gentle patting versus rigorous drying means, you are less likely to irritate your skin.
- Use a gentle moisturiser. AMPERNA® Lightweight Soothing+ Emulsion is cationic so it will absorb deeply into your skin rather than leaving an oily or shiny film.
- Apply an SPF like AMPERNA® Pro+ Bio Soothing Day Mineral CC SPF15 [HYDRAPROTECT]
- Replenish the fluids you lost through sweat by drinking plenty of water.
If you want to find out more on how AMPERNA® products can help your skin, get in touch with Kiri today.