Have you ever suffered from an allergic reaction that has affected your skin? Several environmental factors can be to blame. The reactions can range from mild cases of irritation such as tingling and pinkness to more serious cases of redness, burning, swelling or rashes. If you suffer from these symptoms it is important that you have a plan in place to help manage the reaction.
What Factors can Cause Allergic Reactions on Your Skin?
Allergic reactions can be caused by a number of factors including:
- Allergens found in:
- Laundry detergents, shampoos, soaps
- Clothing fabrics
- Nail polish
- Certain foods
- Specific ingredients
- Certain plants
If you find yourself suffering from an allergic reaction on your face or body it is important you act immediately, and one important element is adjusting your skincare routine.
How to Adjust Your Skincare Routine:
What not to do:
- Avoid scratching as this can lead to irritation and in worst case infection and scarring
- Do not use harsh products
- Do not scrub the area
- Do not introduce new products when your skin is irritated
How to adapt your skin care routine:
We recommend using a pare-back method in order to help manage your reaction.
The pare-back method:
- Temporarily cease using all your skincare products
- Use cooled-down boiled water to cleanse your skin
- Drink more water
- Minimise time in the sun (exposure to UV rays can cause more discomfort) and use adequate sun protection
- Re-introduce gentle products one by one. This will help you understand if any product is causing the allergic reaction
- If the reaction continues, contact your skincare expert for advice
Specific Guidelines for Dealing with Allergies when Using the AMPERNA® Range
Our entire range has been designed for people with even the most dry and sensitive skin and a variety of skin conditions. The range can be used all year round and whilst all products have been tested on eczema, rosacea, acne prone skin, perioral dermatitis and more, in rare cases certain ingredients can irritate even the most normal and sensitive skin types.
It may be the case that you suffer an allergic reaction from the environment whilst using our skincare range and you want to understand how to best manage your skin care routine during this time.
Kiri, founder of AMPERNA®, is highly sensitive to pathogens. On a trip to Morocco she suffered an allergic reaction on her face and needed to readjust her beauty routine to help her skin recover. Kiri uses all the AMPERNA® range of products all year round and in this instance, she took the following steps:
- Cleansed with cooled-down boiled water & temporarily stripped down the AMPERNA® products to just using the Soothing Duo (002 Lightweight Soothing+ Emulsion [HYDRATE] and 005 Probiotic+ DS Soothing Serum [RESCUE])
- Significantly increased her daily water consumption
- Stayed out of the sun when possible and used adequate sun protection when needed
- Re-introduced products one by one allowing her skin to recover from the pathogen
In addition to these steps, Kiri has other useful tips in helping to prevent irritation:
- In extreme heat you can pare back use of the AMPERNA® 10% Pro+ Resurfacing Lotion
- Conduct a patch test prior to using new products:
Prior to introducing any new products into your skincare routine, we recommend the first step is to perform a patch test. This will help you identify any signs of a reaction such as redness, itching, burning or rashes.
General guidelines on how to perform a patch test:
- Apply a small amount of the cleanser to a clean, discreet patch of skin.
- Keep the area dry
- Wait up to 24 hours and look at the area for any signs of irritation such as redness, swelling or rashes.
- If irritation occurs the best thing to do is wash the area with water and do not continue using the product until you have contacted an expert for help
- If no irritation occurs, follow the instructions on the label and incorporate the product into your skincare regime
For more information read about patch testing here.
As part of your holistic approach to skin care, the AMPERNA® range is suitable for all skin types and has been tested on eczema, perioral dermatitis, rosacea, acne prone skin and more. AMPERNA® is an Australian owned, ethical skincare brand, dedicated to creating revolutionary and unique formulas to help re-balance and transform the appearance of skin.
Kiri is here to help you and offers a Holistic Skin Coaching service. If you have any concerns and would like ongoing help with your skin, which includes introducing and using our products, please contact us or email us any time.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. If symptoms persist, we recommend that you see your GP or dermatologist.