We all want healthy, glowing skin.
When it comes to looking after your skin health, there is a mountain of information on how many products and how many steps you should use in your beauty routine. The challenge for many people is that adding too many steps to their daily beauty routine takes too much time and can be cost prohibitive.
So how many steps do we really need and how many steps could be over overdoing it?
A Look at the Extremes
On one side of the spectrum is a beauty routine that has gained lots of attention in the media over the last few years. Known as the Korean 9-step beauty routine, it has been touted to do wonders or even transform your skin over time.
Whilst there are different iterations, here is the basic breakdown:
Step 1: Double cleanse. Once with an oil cleanser and one with a gentle foam cleanser
Step 2: Exfoliate your skin
Step 3: Tone
Step 4: Add an essence
Step 5: Apply Serum to penetrate the skin at a deep level
Step 6: Pop on some eye cream
Step 7: Layer on a Face mask
Step 8: Rub in some night cream (yes, even in the day)
Step 9: Moisturize
On the other side of the spectrum, some people swear by cleansing with water only.
The potential issue with the 9-step routine means a lot of time in front of the mirror, lots of money spent on products and the potential to strip the skin of its natural oils. The only-use-water routine can mean you don’t get rid of the dirt and grime that builds up on your skin and this can lead to blocked pores and conditions such as acne.
The Basics Steps for Good Skin Health
Whilst there are many different skin types, no matter which one you have; the beginning of great skin health is establishing a skin care routine that you can follow daily.
Good skin care starts with a few simple steps and only a handful of products:
- Wash your hands with soap thoroughly to get rid of germs and bacteria.
- Use suitable “active” products if required (this does not apply to everyone)
- Protect your skin from the sun
Always remember that when you introduce products into your routine it is a good idea to start with the essentials such as a cleanser and moisturiser designed for sensitive skin. Once you establish the basic products are working, you can introduce additional products. This will help you identify any ingredients that exacerbate any sensitivity you many knowingly or unknowingly have.
If You Have Dry Skin
Use cleansing products that are gentle on the skin, soap-free and won’t wash away healthy oils.
Choose moisturisers that are mild, fragrance-free to help lock in moisture keeping it hydrated all day long.
If You Suffer From Skin Conditions Such as Dermatitis, Eczema and Rosacea
Start with mild cleansers and moisturisers to help restore the barrier function of your skin. When selecting these base products, look for claims such as “no nasties, gentle and designed for sensitive skin”. It is also a good idea to introduce an exfoliator to remove dead skin cells, allowing moisturisers to better penetrate the skin.
If You Suffer From a Flare Up
You may want to readjust your beauty and cleansing routine immediately and temporarily just use water until your skin recovers:
- Stop wearing all make-up
- Stop using all your regular cleansing & beauty products
- Cleanse with cooled-down boiled water
How Many Products do You Need?
There is no need to spend lots of money on a cabinet full of skincare products.
Start with a must-have trio:
- Moisturising cream
- SPF cream
And build in an exfoliator, serum and active products as required.
Kiri Yanchenko, founder of the AMPERNA® brand, developed a range of products that are affordable and make for an effective skincare program for even the most sensitive skin. The AMPERNA® range is suitable for all skin types and has been tested on eczema, dermatitis, perioral dermatitis, rosacea and acne prone skin.
The Soothing Duo is fundamental:
- Lightweight Soothing+ Emulsion is cationic so it will absorb deeply into your skin rather than leaving an oily or shiny film.
- Probiotic+ DS Soothing Serum is deeply restorative and helps soothe irritated skin and calm redness. The copper and zinc gluconates help to limit the spread of harmful bacteria and replenish the skin barrier.
And as required you can add to this duo with:
- Ultra Gentle Soothing Cleanser is a light gel cleanser that helps remove makeup while balancing the skin. It contains an infusion of sage and cucumber extracts to help cool, soothe and nourish skin.
- 10% Pro+ Resurfacing Lotion is the first chemical exfoliant to market that has been specially formulated for use by first time users and even the most sensitive skins.
- Pro+ Vitamin C Hyaluronic Serum contains high levels of hyaluronic acid and antioxidants to help restore smoothness & suppleness to your skin.
As part of your holistic approach to skin care, the AMPERNA® range is suitable for all skin types. is an Australian owned, ethical skincare brand, dedicated to creating revolutionary and unique formulas to help rebalance and transform the appearance of skin.
Go to https://amperna.com for more information.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. If symptoms persist, we recommend that you see your GP or dermatologist.