Whether it is a run, gym session or hot yoga, if you are heading out to exercise, it is likely you are going to get sweaty. Sweats main purpose is to help cool your body down and regulate your temperature. The increased blood flow allows oxygen and nutrients to nourish skin cells, leaving you with that juicy post-workout glow.
Sweating is great and has a plethora of health benefits.
Sweating and Skin Hygiene
The downside of sweating is that many people find it contributes to skin irritation, acne breakouts and can exacerbates existing skin conditions. This is because sweating can lead to a build up of oil, dirt and bacteria on your skin – if you do not practice good skincare hygiene.
No matter how much you sweat, it is best to take hygiene steps pre and post your workout to help maintain good skin health, especially for people with sensitive skin.
General Skincare Tips - Pre Exercise
- Remove your make up prior to exercising. When you exercise your pores open making it easy for make-up and grime to get clogged in them.
- Before exercising outdoors always apply a sunscreen.
- Ensure you are well hydrated before your workout.
- Wear breathable fabrics such as cotton and light weight materials.
- Avoid exercising in excessive heat. Try to work out in the morning or evening instead.
- If your workout is indoors, try your best to control the room temperature and humidity.
- Use a clean absorbent towel to wipe away sweat while you’re exercising.
Sensitive Skincare Tips
If you suffer from sensitive skin concerns such as dermatitis, eczema, acne or psoriasis here are a few extra tips that can help not exacerbate your skin due to sweating.
- Overheating can trigger your eczema to flare. Where possible break up your workouts to give your body a chance to cool down.
- Loose, clean cotton fabrics will be your best option to choose while exercising.
- Use caution if wearing tight, synthetic materials and remove all tags to avoid rubbing against your skin.
- Always shower in cool water after exercising, using a fragrance free body wash and gentle facial cleanser.
- Follow up with a hydrating moisturising lotion.
More on clothing fabrication and sensitive skin here:
- Keep your hair pulled back off your face to avoid any haircare products transferring down onto your face.
- Avoid touching your face while exercising.
- Change out of your sweaty gym clothes pronto. A yeast called Malassezia commonly found on the skin thrives on warm, moist conditions. It can cause a type of fungal acne to form.
- Jump in the shower to remove all sweat, oil, dirt and accumulated bacteria.
More on what to avoid if you suffer from acne here:
- Before exercise apply a hydrating emollient to any affected areas to act as a protectant barrier to your skin.
- Listen to your body. If you notice any chaffing or stinging stop your workout. Excessive friction and sweating can exacerbate psoriasis plaques.
- Wash your activewear and towels in mild, non toxic washing detergents. Heavily fragranced washing powders and/ liquids contain potential allergens that can worsen sensitive skin.
More on washing detergents here:
General Skincare Tips - Post Exercise
- As soon as you finish your sweaty work-out cleanse your face. When cleansing, use cool water. Use a gentle cleanser such as AMPERNA® Ultra Gentle Soothing Cleanser, contains an infusion of sage and cucumber extracts to help cool, soothe and nourish skin.
- Use a clean towel to pat your skin dry. Gentle patting versus rigorous drying means, you are less likely to irritate your skin.
- Use a gentle moisturiser. AMPERNA® Lightweight Soothing+ Emulsion is cationic so it will absorb deeply into your skin rather than leaving an oily or shiny film.
- Apply an SPF like AMPERNA® Pro+ Bio Soothing Day Mineral CC SPF15 [HYDRAPROTECT]
- Replenish the fluids you lost through sweat by drinking plenty of water.
If you want to find out more on how AMPERNA® products can help your skin, get in touch with Kiri today.