LED Light Therapy has been successfully used for many decades by health professionals to help skin problems such as acne and healing wounds. It is considered one of the safest forms of light treatment available.
It is only recently that this treatment has become available for home use. Take-home technology has enabled anyone to purchase a mask through a variety of retailers and have it shipped direct to their home. The price tag can range from under $100 to over $1000.
This democratisation has meant sales of LED light therapy masks have skyrocketed in the last few years – with brands promising the benefits of smoothing wrinkles, diminishing discoloration, and clearing acne for a beautiful, youthful complexion.
Celebrities got hooked on them and they became the buzz on social media. We saw actors and models wearing a mask whilst lazing on the couch and seemingly overnight it became a must-have beauty device. But the question is, do they really work?
How are LED light Masks Designed to Work?
There are lots of different brands and models available, but in principal LED (light-emitting diode) masks use a spectrum of light wavelengths that penetrate the skin to trigger changes within skin at the molecular level. Each spectrum of light produces a different colour to target various skin concerns.
- Red light is designed to increase circulation and stimulate collagen, making it useful for those who are looking to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- Blue is designed to kill acne-causing bacteria, regulate oil and sebum production, and give an anti-inflammatory benefit.
- Green targets pigmentation.
- Yellow is designed to boost overall skin health, heal wounds, and decreases the signs of ageing by helping to boost blood and oxygen flow through the skin cells.
Are There any Risks?
Unlike more invasive procedures such as laser therapy, LEDs don’t burn your skin or cause any pain. The procedure is also non-invasive and has very few risks. LEDs don’t contain UV rays and will not cause long-term damage to your skin. However, there may still be risks associated with LED light therapy:
- In 2019 Neutrogena recalled their mask due to reports of visual effects associated with the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask. When the brand recalled the product, they cautioned: “For a small subset of the population with certain underlying eye conditions, as well as for users taking medications which could enhance ocular photosensitivity, there is a theoretical risk of eye injury.”
- If you suffer from acne and are taking Accutane it increases your skin’s sensitivity to light and may cause scarring in some instances. So best to steer clear.
- If you are using any products that make your skin sensitive to sunlight, do not use LED masks.
How do In-home Masks Compare to Clinic Treatments?
There is a lack of data available to prove the effectiveness of in-home LED masks, so it is worth doing your own research.
Whilst light therapy masks have been deemed safe to use at home, they are not as strong as those approved for use in clinics for professionals to use. In many clinics you will experience the power of a medical-grade LED device, meaning the light is significantly stronger than a mask you can buy for home use. What does all this mean? Knowing it will take longer to achieve the desired results you want using a mask at home, you may want to invest in a good quality at-home mask and use it in combination with clinic treatments. Make sure you do your research, read the reviews, and choose a high-quality product.
Whether you do or don’t have the money spend to spend on LED, make sure you invest in using good skin care products at home.
To help maintain overall good skin health, you need to have a daily skincare routine and a holistic approach to health and wellness. AMPERNA® skincare is dedicated to creating revolutionary and unique formulas to help rebalance and transform the appearance of skin. The skincare is holistic and effective and the ingredients in AMPERNA® help to minimise inflammation and create the perfect conditions for your skin to shine.
AMPERNA® products can help problem skin through the power of probiotics.
Probiotics can work in a similar way to antibiotics in the treatment of skin problems, with the advantage of not killing off the good bacteria. When applied directly to the skin they create a “bacterial interference" and their antimicrobial properties mean they can kill bad bacteria that is responsible for triggering inflammation.
The hero ingredient in the AMPERNA® range is the active probiotic complex, Lactococcus Ferment Lysate. This probiotic complex helps support the skin barrier; helping to protect you from aggressors such as environmental pollutants, helps keep your immune system in check and helps reduce inflammation. It acts as a protective layer on the skin, helps boost healthy looking skin and calm & soothe skin.
You can find out more about how the range can help your skin here.